History

The History of First Presbyterian Church of Plattsburgh

1700s

  • Nov. 10, 1792 First meeting of settlers to discuss church organization
  • Aug. 1795 Rev. Frederick Halsey, first pastor, begins his service
  • Oct. 1, 1797 First Presbyterian Church officially organized with 18 members

1800s

  • June 1, 1812 Present site deeded by Abraham and Mary Brinkerhoff. Frame church begun.
  • Sept. 6-11, 1812 British occupied the unfinished church as a cavalry barracks
  • Sept. 11, 1814 Church fired upon by Americans from east side of Saranac River
  • Dec. 25, 1816 Church finished and dedicated
  • April 2, 1817 Beekmantown First Presbyterian Church formed by 54 members of First Presbyterian Church, Plattsburgh
  • Feb. 1826 Sunday School organized
  • Feb. 24, 1864 Peristrome Presbyterian Church founded by 55 members of First Presbyterian Church, Plattsburgh
  • Dec. 14, 1865 Renovations completed, building rededicated
  • Aug. 21, 1867 Church destroyed by fire, along with 70 other buildings
  • July 17, 1868 Cornerstone of new church laid
  • July 21, 1870 Bell, made by Meneely of Troy, installed in tower
  • July 8, 1873 Present building completed and dedicated
  • Oct. 1, 1897 Centennial celebration

1900s

  • Feb. 1902 Telephone service installed
  • Aug. 11, 1903 Church spire struck by lightning
  • Nov. 1909 Change from gas to electric; redecorated; Estey pipe organ installed
  • 1946-47 Extensive renovations and improvements
  • Oct. 1947 Sesquicentennial celebration
  • May 21, 1951 Church steeple struck by lightning, causing considerable damage
  • 1952 Earliest verified Christmas Tea and Bazaar
  • Sept. 16, 1954 Formation of the Women’s Association from three older societies
  • 1962 Extensive renovations and installation of electric heat
  • Oct. 13, 1967 Dedicated new education wing begun in 1966
  • Oct. 1972 175th anniversary celebration
  • Summer 1975 Wilhelm tracker organ installed
  • Nov. 12, 1982 Church put on the National and State Historic Registers
  • 1986-88 Capital Improvement Program to install ramp and elevator, repair stonework
  • May 13, 1987 Church used for housing refugees awaiting immigration hearings in Canada
  • April 10, 1988 Women’s Association changes its name to Presbyterian Women
  • Nov. 27, 1988 Elevator dedicated
  • 1997 200th anniversary celebration
  • 1999 Signed partnership with Synod of Livingstonia, Malawi

2000s

  • Feb. 2003 First Presbyterian Church joined Greater Plattsburgh Interfaith Hospitality Network
  • 2002-2004 Living Stones Building Fund campaign for repair and renovations
  • June 19, 2004 Church designated a New York State Underground Heritage Trail Site


Our Pastors and Years of Service

  • Rev. Frederick Halsey, 1795-1810
  • Rev. David Dobie, 1814-1855
  • Rev. Edward R. Chamberlain, 1856-1858
  • Rev. Edwin A. Bulkley, 1863-1878
  • Rev. Joseph Gamble, 1880-1907
  • Rev. John Bailey Kelly, 1908-1918
  • Rev. Charles Tupper Baillie, 1919-1922
  • Rev. George A. Armstrong, 1924-1942
  • Rev. F. Joseph Littell, 1943-1956
  • Rev. George B. Grose, 1957-1970
  • Rev. William W. Kenney, 1970-1977
  • Rev. Dr. Earl S. Johnson, 1978-1989
  • Rev. Thomas J. McKinnon, Jr. 1982-1994
  • Rev. Paul Heller, 1991-2008
  • Rev. Kathleen Crighton, 2010-2013
  • Rev. Dr. Timothy J. Luoma, 2017-Present

Sunday Worship

Sundays, 10:00 A.M. with our Chancel Choir

We celebrate the Lord’s Supper on the first Sunday of each month. All baptized persons who call on Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, regardless of their church affiliation, are welcome at the table.

Fellowship & Church School

9:00 AM - Sunday School for all ages
10:00 AM - Worship
11:00 AM - Coffee & Fellowship in the Fellowship Hall

No children’s Sunday School during the summer. Click on “Pulse and Weekly Bulletins” for current week’s bulletin for adult classes schedule

© First Presbyterian Church. 34 Brinkerhoff Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901 (518) 561-3140 office@presbyplatt.org
Site by GARRANT
© First Presbyterian Church
34 Brinkerhoff Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901 (518) 561-3140
office@presbyplatt.org
Site by GARRANT